Monday, April 30, 2012

Ronald W. "DOC" Dunbar: 1935-2012

Doc and Me at the Grand Canyon

From the Obituary: (Ron Dunbar Obituary AJC)
Doc was my Mother's Father.  He was a gentle and loving man who filled his life fully with his Faith, Family, Friends, and Fun.  He and I enjoyed going shooting anytime that I was in town from college and even had a chance to go the Saturday before Easter this year, less than 3 weeks before he died.
I also got a chance to come home last Saturday and see him, within a week of his passing.  I got a chance to talk to him for a good 20 minutes about random life things.  It was amazing and such a blessing to know that even up to the moment of his death his mind was one hundred percent there and he could talk to and hold a conversation with anyone and everyone.  When it was time to leave I said goodbye to him and shook his hand.  I did not know that that would be the last time I would see or speak to him, but I think somehow he knew because the handshake that he gave me was the strongest handshake that I think I have ever gotten from him.
It was an honor to be his grandson.  He was a man among men and epitomized what a true Catholic Man, Husband, Father, and Grandfather should be.  I hope that I can live up to be a close to the same great man that he was and he will be missed, but always loved and remembered.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends. To appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.”   ― Ralph Waldo Emerson


No comments:

Post a Comment